Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The poker world and Halloween

The things I wanted to relate to poker now that we are at the time of Halloween are about costumes.  The man at the top of the post is named Chris 'Jesus' Ferguson.  He always wear (not because it's Halloween) his black glasses and his great hat.  My point here is to explain what those articles are used for when playing a poker game.  The first thought that might come to people's mind is that they wear those clothes for the look and I think it is the first reason.  Despite that, Chris Ferguson and every professional poker player wearing such accessories do so for other reasons.  

First of all, glasses are used so that people can't see your face and at the same time to avoid that other players get a good read on you, but these are still classical arguments.  What people who never played poker before don't know is that when you are playing a long tournament, you are exposed all the time to the spotlights on the ceiling and it really tires the players.  Sunglasses help you to stay comfortable for a longer time and to stay focus on the game and it's the same thing about the hat.  Of course, poker players sometimes use these articles to destabilize their opponents, but they also think about their welfare.


3 comments:

  1. Good article! I had noticed from the small glimpses of poker games I catched on that many players "disguised" themselves. However, I never knew the reason why and now, after reading your article I know the reasons. This proves that in poker games, all is about strategy and even your clothes are part of it! I find it very impressive. I was never a fan of card games, but I'm a learning guy and this article, quite short though, was very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is a subject I hadn't really thought about but now that I've read your post I find the subject of disguise in poker intriguing. It also provokes the question of if we wear disguises in other aspects of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with you Jennifer. Our clothes, our tatoos or piercings and even the way we act towards certain people are a way to hide or to show something to the others.

    ReplyDelete